Thursday, May 19, 2011

Modifed Staircase

In the directions for the assembly of the Farifield after the foundation is put together its time to work on the staircase. The stairs that come with the kit were not my favorite. No matter how much sanding I did they just weren't up to par. So I adapted a set of houseworks stairs.

Step 1: Cut the stairs to match the width of the original stairs.
Staircase cut down to correct width

In the picture above you can also see that I added a piece at the bottom to create more of a base for the stairs.

Step 2: Adding the base. I just cut 2 triangular pieces of balsa wood and glued them to the bottom.
Triangular pieces added
Step 3: Custom make all of the stair treads. The bottom 4 stair treads are a little wider than the stairs. I did this so that I can have a banister on the bottom part of the stairs. As the stairs go up they are sandwiched between the walls of the house, the treads on the higher steps need to be the same width as the staircase. I used balsa for the treads. I painted the staircase and I stained the treads in walnut. I added a little half round molding to the staircase base just to dress it up a bit.
Front view

Staircase base detail



Completed Staircase


3 comments:

  1. Great job. I was very impressed with the windows. I get frustrated, while doing my house, with all the adaptations. The house will be beautiful when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking time to post pics and details. I have just started building the 1/2" Fairfield (put together foundation), and I am trying to decide what I'll do with it. I too don't like the stairs that come with the kit, and was wondering how on earth to modify. This is very helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job on this staircase. Well done!

    Teresa
    beaconhilldollhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete