|House of Miniatures Grandmother Clock|
The next step was to find a small working clock that I could take apart. I found a cheap one that I didn't mind disassembling. I had to be very careful removing the hands as they were extremely fragile. I wasn't sure at this point if I was even going to be able to get it back together.
|Disassembled Working Clock|
|All the parts and pieces|
I then had to drill a small hole through the face of the metal piece of the clock. I replaced the original clock face with the face that came with the House of Miniatures kit. The clock hands were the next challenge. I wanted to use the clock hands that came with the kit but the holes in the hands are slightly different sizes than then original ones. My solution for this was trim the holes off of the kit hands and then glue these ones to the original hands. This worked well but was a bit tricky.
|New clock face that came with the kit|
|Assembled new working face!|
Next I started to glue some of the pieces of the kit together. Being careful to follow the steps in the kit.
Next I started the staining process. I started by carefully sanding the pieces as smooth as possible. Then I did a coat of stain. Once it was completely dry I lightly sanded again and did another coat of stain.
|First coat of stain|
Now that that is drying I have started to put some of the interior hardware pieces together. The kit includes a pendulum that has to be assembled and 2 chains with weights that also have to be assembled. This is as far as I have gotten for today. I am patiently waiting for the finial coat of stain to dry so that I can assemble the clock. Final pictures to come soon!
|Interior clock pieces (non working decorative only)|